Saturday 12 October 2019

On the Theistic Projects of the Atheists

Modern atheism is a project for manufacturing new earthly religions and gods. Every atheistic movement in the last two hundred and fifty years has tried to found its own earthly religion and develop its own gods. During the French Revolution, the Jacobins first established an atheistic religion called the Cult of Reason, and then its rival religion called the Cult of the Supreme Being. Auguste Comte established a positivist religion of humanity in which he was revered as a godlike figure. In the former Soviet Union, the communists indulged in an orgy of self-deification—they deified Karl Marx, Lenin, Stalin, and other communist leaders. Despite her claims for being a stickler for reason and logic, Ayn Rand established a cult called objectivism whose followers worship her as the final authority on everything. The present day liberals, who are mostly atheistic, make massive misuse of the mainstream media for self-deification.

3 comments:

Emmanuel Lazinier said...

I never heard of any disciple of Comte's revering his master as a "godlike figure". Nor did I ever read any text by Comte encouraging such a theistic attitude. Please give me your references, and I'll gladly add them to my e-bibliography of positivism.

In case you're unable to produce such a proof, I'm confident you'll have the honesty to amend your post.

Anoop Verma said...

@Emmanuel Lazinier: But Comte did start his own church. He did try to found a new kind of community. He did found something called a "Religion of Humanity." Some details of that are available here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_of_Humanity

Emmanuel Lazinier said...

OK, I am myself an adherent to that religion of Humanity. So I don't need Wikipédia to know that "something" -- which is openly non-theistic!

I was born a catholic and it's the reading of Comte that convinced me to give up any theistic creed. So, how could I have ever dreamed of revering Auguste Comte as a "godlike figure"? He was just a man, and it's just very conforting to me to see, through his example, how much a man can accomplish.

In my bibliography I reference a mass of texts by "religious" disciples of Comte. I doubt you could find in them anything resembling a deification of the positive philosopher.